Rutherford Robertson, P.A. 704-792-1011
Take advantage of the experience of Rutherford Robertson, P.A. so that you can make informed decisions as you close one chapter of your life and enter into the next.

Cabarrus County Child Custody Attorney

Child Custody Attorney Cabarrus County

Cabarrus County Child custody is probably the most combative aspect of the whole divorce process. As such, highly contested child custody disputes can become very expensive.  No one wants to be told when and how often he or she can visit with his or her child, nor do people like the idea of having to work with the other parent in highly contested divorce cases to make for a smooth transition for the children.

Cabarrus County, North Carolina recognizes two types of custody:  “physical” custody and “legal” custody.  Physical custody is where the child is physically residing and is determined by examining the “best interests” of the child.  In most cases, physical custody is awarded jointly to the parents unless it is shown that joint physical custody is not in the child’s best interest.

Legal custody involves the decision-making authority concerning long-lasting significant issues such as education and religious upbringing.  Legal custody can be awarded jointly to both parents or solely to one parent.

North Carolina requires that parties involved in child custody disputes attend child custody mediation. This requirement can be waived under these circumstances:  one party lives more than 50 miles from court; one of the parties suffers from alcoholism, abuses drugs, or abuses the other party; one of the parties abuses or neglects the children; one of the parties suffers from psychological, psychiatric, or emotional problems.

If you have questions or concerns about your child custody dispute, please contact Rutherford Robertson, P.A. to schedule your confidential consultation so that you can make informed decisions regarding your child’s future.

Recent Publications

Children in Custody Disputes, Do's And Dont's
Sometimes when parents are divorcing or are in a custody dispute they tend to lose sight of the important things with regard to their children's rights and sensitivities.
[Read More...]

The Process For An Uncontested Divorce
To get a divorce after the requisite one year of separation, you must file a Complaint and Civil Summons with the court, generally in the county you reside.
[Read More...]

Get in Touch

  • Phone:
    Ph:704-792-1011 / Fax:704-792-0901
  • Request Info:
    Submit An Email
  • Address:
    30 Church St S,
    Concord, NC 28025